Summary: In this post, we will discuss how Lotus Notes is different from Microsoft Outlook. We’ll also share step-wise instructions on how you can Configure Lotus Notes Email in Outlook and provide the recommended solution to easily carry out the migration.
Both Lotus Notes and Outlook are top-tier email clients, but they have many differences. For instance, Lotus Notes saves mailbox data in NSF (Notes Storage Facility) format, while Outlook stores mailbox data in PST (Portable Storage Table) format. If you want to Configure Lotus Notes Email in Outlook 2019, 2016, or 2013, you have to transfer the data using an appropriate method.
How to Configure Lotus Notes Email in Outlook?
To configure Lotus Notes email in Outlook manually, you have to perform a series of steps in two parts.
Caution: Before proceeding, create a backup of your NSF file to prevent data loss.
Part 1: Export Lotus Notes Emails in CSV Format
Follow these steps:
- Launch Lotus Notes.
Open the File tab and select Export
- The Export window will open.
- Browse to the location where you want to save the exported Lotus Notes file.
- Open Save as type drop-down menu and select Comma Separates Value.
- Give an appropriate name to the file and click Export. The CSV Export window will open.
- Select the appropriate options for saving the CSV file and click OK. After this, Lotus Notes will export the mailbox data to a CSV file.
Part 2: Import CSV into Outlook
Follow these steps:
- Launch Outlook.
- Open File tab and go to Open & Export > Import/Export.
Import and Export Wizard will open.
- Select Import from another program and file and click Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values and click Next.
- Browse to the location of the exported CSV file and select the file.
- Select Replace duplicates with items imported in Options and click Next.
- Select the Outlook mailbox folder where you want to import the CSV file and click Next.
- Complete the import process and click Finish once done.
After you complete these two parts, you will successfully configure Lotus Notes email in Outlook.
Recommended Solution: Use an NSF to PST Converter
For someone who is technically adept, the manual method mentioned can be ideal. However, not everyone is technically well-versed. Further, the process is lengthy, time-consuming, and even risky in terms of data loss. This is why experts recommend using dedicated software for NSF to PST conversion.
Table 1: Differences between manual and automated method
A good NSF to PST Converter will make it easy to configure Lotus Notes email in Outlook 2019, 2016, or even 2013 using few simple steps. It can also convert multiple NSF files in batches and support conversion of NSF into other popular formats like MSG, EML, HTML, and PDF.
A software like Stellar NSF to PST converter can convert your Lotus Notes emails in 3 simple steps:
- Enter the location of the NSF file and convert the file in a single click.
- Preview emails and other items and select the items you want to save in PST.
- Save the desired data in PST format and import the file in Outlook to complete the migration process.
As you can see, an NSF to PST converter makes it easy to configure Lotus Notes mailbox in Outlook compared to the manual method. If you don’t have a knack for technical software procedures, this method is the way to go.
Migrating from Lotus Notes to Outlook isn’t difficult. You have two methods- manual and automated. In most situations, the latter will be safer and more straightforward. Sure, the software required for the method won’t come free. However, for the price, you will receive data security, ease of transfer, and accuracy. Just make sure a trusted brand offers the software you pick.