Disable Cortana & turning off User data collection in Windows 10.
Agree that Cortana is the most awaited & cool feature in Windows 10. But Cortana has the habit of collecting our Start Menu search history & powering our searches & ads. Thankfully, there’s a method to stop & disable cortana completely.
You’ve seen the feature image I made for this article. It’s much like a troll, or a meme atleast.
There are so many methods in the internet to stop Cortana by ending the process from Task Manager, but it soon reverts back to work.
Follow these steps to completely disable cortana:
1: Search for ‘Cortana & Search Settings’ in Start Menu.
2: Now turn all switch buttons to OFF.
3: Cortana is now turned off.
4: Now open Settings & go to Privacy Tab.
5: In General section, turn OFF all the switch buttons.(Now you’re partly safe).
6: In ‘Speech, Inking & Typing’ , click on ‘Stop Getting to know me’.
7: Now in Feedback & Diagnostics, there’s an option ‘Windows should ask for my feedback’. Select Never. As for Diagnostic & Usage data, select Basic.
There’s another Pro-only Step to disable Cortana. It’s as follows:
- Open Task manager & in Processes list, Right Click on Cortana. Select Go to Details. From there, right click again & select Open File location.
- Now You’ll see a folder named “Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyew”.
- Rename it to : Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyew.disabled”.
- The prompt will show that it can’t be renamed because it’s open. Don’t close the prompt, but keep it open & go to task manager & End Cortana Process from there.
- Now go back to the prompt & click Try Again. It’ll be renamed. You can then see that Cortana never disturbs you anymore. It’s permanently disabled.
Done for now! Keep lookin’ for more at TechBuzzIn.